We opened in 1997, in a small 100 year old home, no bath house, cabins, hostel, outfitters
store, or boat rental. As of this year we have had over 8000 happy hikers, including Earl
Shaffer (his 50th anniversary thru hike). Nimblewill Nomad (both northbound and south bound
AT hikes ), Goback, Jean Deeds ( a great lady and a good book ), Dreamcatcher (52 days )
Model-T (the real right stuff ), Just an Echo, (a kind and gentle soul, 3 visits ), Warren Doyle (
with his son Forest ), the Dancer and his son George of the Jungle, ( 5 days while raising
millions for the arts.) Purple ( who gave me Miss Moonshadow, the worlds most affectionate
dog.) And the Marching Mountain Mamas just to name a few.
Free Wi-Fi Internet access and computer use
Dormitory style hostel, private rooms, and cabins with TV/VCR, tent camping on grassy sites
with picnic tables and grills.
- Large restroom facility with 5 showers, 5 toilets, 6 washbasins, hot water, soap, shampoo,
conditioner, towels and washcloths
- Laundry service, free loaner tee-shirts, outside wash station for your pots, pans, boots, other
- Outfitters store with MSR, Sweetwater, Primus, Therm-A- Rest, Platypus, Suunto, Smartwool,
Bridgedale, Princeton Tec, Outdoor Research, Katadyn, Jet-Boil, Wigwam,Nikwax, Equinox,
Terramar, Eureka, Wechsel, Black Diamond, Superfeet, Petzel, Hennsey Hammock, Brunton,
Vargo Titanium Products, Lafurma, Golite, Seal Line Bags.Fox River, Spenco foot beds,Exponent,
Nalgene, gear repair and more.
- Hikers payphone, which also receives calls, on our front deck. Great prices on pre-paid phone
cards. Fax and package drop-off service, and access to Inter-net service.
- We accept mail-drops 12 months out of the year, we accept everything, Fed-Ex, UPS, and USPS
parcels at no charge.
- Free bikes for town trips. Erwin’s municipal bike and walking path is less than one mile from
our front door.
- Responsible, legal, insured shuttle services for section hiking, slack packing, airport, bus
station, motel and town.
- Free town and church shuttles for guests.
- Free National Forest Service swimming beach with rest rooms, changing rooms and a beautiful
picnic area only 400 yards upstream.
- We have sit-on-top kayaks, canoes and tube rentals for the lower Nolichucky. We also offer the
very best area rafting trips.
- Visa and Mastercard accepted. Work exchange is possible
- Responsible pet owners with well-mannered dogs are welcome .
- One of the Hiker Services that we have here is that we send out mail drops to hikers around the
trail here in the U.S.
- We will be glad to set up and coordinate all your mail drops along the way for you at no
additional charge. We will send out your packages at the date and place you specify.