|Latitude: 36.07083 Longitude: -82.4025
Lost Cove was one of the best single logging places adjacent to Middle Prong at Sam's Creek near Shut-in Prong below
Thunderhead Mountain. Numerous trees as large as 5 or 6 feet in diameter added to the 1,000,000 board feet taken from the area
Lost Cove Trail: Length: 3.5 miles
Rating: Moderate. This trail provides access to the deserted community of
Lost Cove. Follow timber access road 5505 and the blue blazes. Watch for
switchbacks. Directions: From Uncle Johnny's Hostel And Outfitters in
Erwin, Tennessee. Take a right turn and go".8" of a mile and turn left onto
Temple Hill Road. Go 3.5 miles and turn left onto 19W Then go 11.5 miles
and turn left onto White Oaks Flats Road (NC1415). Now go,"1.1 mile"at
which time the road forks three ways. Stay on the far left onto Flat Top Road
"Forest Service Rd NC.278". Continue 2.1 miles up gravel road,just past
gate on the right. Turn right into parking area by going straight up. This will
be: N 36 03.243' / W 082 23. 177'
The abandoned community of Lost Cove, NC is in the Poplar
Gorge. Only a couple of intact houses remain now because
several have been burned in the last few years.
Lost Cove, located along the Nolichucky River in Western North Carolina, took its
name from the location near the Tennessee and North Carolina border when surveyors
were not sure to which state the community belonged. Lost Cove was reportedly
settled shortly before the Civil War by Morgan Bailey. Lost Cove was a thriving
Appalachian logging and farming community for about 100 years. The location and
terrain of the community were difficult to navigate and when the railroad stopped
making regular stops in the community, residents eventually had to leave Lost Cove.
The last resident left the community in 1957
|Be Sure To Check This
Site "All About Lost
Cove, North Carolina"
| UNCLE JOHNNY'S
NOLICHUCKY HOSTEL & OUTFITTERS
151 River Road, Erwin, Tennessee
|LOST COVE, NORTH CAROLINA
|1913 History of Western North Carolina,
Forty years ago Lost Cove was
almost inaccessible, except by
trails; but last year (1912) a wagon
road over three miles long was
constructed to it over the ridges
from Poplar Station on the C. C. &
0. Railroad. Such a secluded place
was a great temptation to
moonshiners,and when to its
inaccessibility was added the fact
that it was in dispute between
Tennessee and North Carolina, its
fascinations became irresistible.
Accordingly John D. Tipton was
accused of having begun
business by the light of the moon,
as was evidenced by sundry
indictments in the United States
court at Asheville. His example
was soon followed by others; but,
whenever it appeared to Judge R.
P. Dick. that the alleged stills
were in the disputed territory, he
directed the discharge of the
defendants. However, a mighty
change has taken place in Lost
Cove within the past few years,
and not only is there no
moon shining there now, even
when fair Luna is at the full,. but
the good people will not suffer the
"critter" to be brought in from
Tennessee. And better still, in
1910 they built a school house and
a church, and voted a special
school tax, the first school having
been taught in 1911.
"This web site may contain copyrighted material and may link to copyrighted material. It is presented here under the 'fair use' provisions of the US copyright laws, solely for the purpose of discussion and
critique. No commercial use is intended or permitted. If you are the owner of one of these copyrights and you disagree with the use of this material, please contact us at the email link posted on this page,
and a resolution will be arranged promptly."
Without prejudice and with specific reservation of all rights.